Apple's commercials have been pretty hit-or-miss the last few years. There were the sloppy and offensive "Genius" ads that were pulled from last year's Olympics, and more memorably, the Siri spots that had a PJ-clad Zooey Deschanel forgetting how to look out a window.
But this new iPhone 5 ad (which seems perfectly timed to coincide with the release of the Samsung Galaxy S4) taps into the same kind of sappy sentimentality that Google perfected in 2009. "Photos Every Day," as the TV spot is called, has a little something for everyone: Foodies Instagramming their lattes, teens snapping selfies in a bedroom, implied drunken revelry, couples out on hikes — it feels, well, real.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- How to make homemade marshmallow Peeps
Subscribe to the Week