Apple's commercials have been pretty hit-or-miss the last few years. There were the sloppy and offensive "Genius" ads that were pulled from last year's Olympics, and more memorably, the Siri spots that had a PJ-clad Zooey Deschanel forgetting how to look out a window.
But this new iPhone 5 ad (which seems perfectly timed to coincide with the release of the Samsung Galaxy S4) taps into the same kind of sappy sentimentality that Google perfected in 2009. "Photos Every Day," as the TV spot is called, has a little something for everyone: Foodies Instagramming their lattes, teens snapping selfies in a bedroom, implied drunken revelry, couples out on hikes — it feels, well, real.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: March 9, 2014
- This energy source could solve all of our problems — so why is no one talking about it?
Subscribe to the Week