Apple's commercials have been pretty hit-or-miss the last few years. There were the sloppy and offensive "Genius" ads that were pulled from last year's Olympics, and more memorably, the Siri spots that had a PJ-clad Zooey Deschanel forgetting how to look out a window.
But this new iPhone 5 ad (which seems perfectly timed to coincide with the release of the Samsung Galaxy S4) taps into the same kind of sappy sentimentality that Google perfected in 2009. "Photos Every Day," as the TV spot is called, has a little something for everyone: Foodies Instagramming their lattes, teens snapping selfies in a bedroom, implied drunken revelry, couples out on hikes — it feels, well, real.
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- 10 things you need to know today: December 10, 2013
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 5 theories to explain North Korea's big mysterious purge
- Did God have a wife?
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- The secrets of happy families
Subscribe to the Week