Apple's commercials have been pretty hit-or-miss the last few years. There were the sloppy and offensive "Genius" ads that were pulled from last year's Olympics, and more memorably, the Siri spots that had a PJ-clad Zooey Deschanel forgetting how to look out a window.
But this new iPhone 5 ad (which seems perfectly timed to coincide with the release of the Samsung Galaxy S4) taps into the same kind of sappy sentimentality that Google perfected in 2009. "Photos Every Day," as the TV spot is called, has a little something for everyone: Foodies Instagramming their lattes, teens snapping selfies in a bedroom, implied drunken revelry, couples out on hikes — it feels, well, real.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- 10 things you need to know today: July 26, 2014
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week