Across the globe Wednesday, millions of demonstrators took to the streets to promote workers' rights, with demands reflecting the pressing labor and economic issues facing each nation. Occupy Wall Street activists returned to Manhattan; police in Istanbul, Turkey, fired tear gas and water cannons at demonstrators; and anti-austerity demonstrators held a general strike in Greece, crippling the nation's transit system.
Though the U.S does not observe May Day — President Eisenhower, concerned about the holiday's perceived communist overtones, renamed May 1 "Law Day" in 1958 — organizers held demonstrations in many U.S. cities. Take a look at these May Day photos from around the world:
A rally in Moscow organized by the Russian Communist Party.
Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt's May Day speech fails to impress the crowd.
(AP Photo/Polfoto/Daniel hjort)
Police detain a demonstrator in Santiago, Chile, after protests there turned violent.
An estimated 32,000 took to the streets of Tokyo.
Taiwanese workers attempt to remove a road block during a protest over pension cuts.
(AP Photo/Chiang Ying-ying)
Germans express their discontent with a universal gesture.
A man carries a huge caricature of billionaire tycoon Victor Li during a protest over working conditions and pay.
(Lam Yik Fei/Getty Images)
Protesters gather in Union Square, site of Occupy Wall Street's second encampment.
(Spencer Platt/Getty Images)
A demonstrator and possible Star Wars fan in London.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- 10 soldiers welcomed home by very happy dogs
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
Subscribe to the Week