I consider myself a connoisseur of the covert. Figuring out how the Deep State's pipes all fit together has become sort of a life's work. The government doesn't make it easy, but like in art and literature, a presence is often implied by absence. And LinkedIn. You can find an enormous amount of interesting information on LinkedIn and on government jobs sites. An example: Out at the NSA's Ft. Gordon, Ga., center, there's a big new project codenamed VALDOSTA.
VALDOSTA is a classified national-level geo-location/targeting endeavor designed to help find, track, tag, and locate targets of interests using advanced signals intelligence platforms. It's a 24/7 operation and designed to support warfighters and commanders reaching all the way back to the Pentagon. It involves UAVs with the AIRHANDLER collection system on board, which is associated with precise geo-location/radio direction finding technology. (Other similar systems include WITCHHUNT, WHAMI, and TEMPTRESS.).
Simple open-source collection by average citizens can help keep government accountable. To that end, a new contest by the Investigative Reporters and Editors, Inc. of Columbus, Mo., can help. They're looking for the "most secretive publicly-funded agency or person in the United States." David Cay Johnston, the president of IRE, says the honor will acknowledge "the dedication of government officials working tirelessly to keep vital information hidden from the public."
Send your nominees to firstname.lastname@example.org.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week