I consider myself a connoisseur of the covert. Figuring out how the Deep State's pipes all fit together has become sort of a life's work. The government doesn't make it easy, but like in art and literature, a presence is often implied by absence. And LinkedIn. You can find an enormous amount of interesting information on LinkedIn and on government jobs sites. An example: Out at the NSA's Ft. Gordon, Ga., center, there's a big new project codenamed VALDOSTA.
VALDOSTA is a classified national-level geo-location/targeting endeavor designed to help find, track, tag, and locate targets of interests using advanced signals intelligence platforms. It's a 24/7 operation and designed to support warfighters and commanders reaching all the way back to the Pentagon. It involves UAVs with the AIRHANDLER collection system on board, which is associated with precise geo-location/radio direction finding technology. (Other similar systems include WITCHHUNT, WHAMI, and TEMPTRESS.).
Simple open-source collection by average citizens can help keep government accountable. To that end, a new contest by the Investigative Reporters and Editors, Inc. of Columbus, Mo., can help. They're looking for the "most secretive publicly-funded agency or person in the United States." David Cay Johnston, the president of IRE, says the honor will acknowledge "the dedication of government officials working tirelessly to keep vital information hidden from the public."
Send your nominees to email@example.com.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
Subscribe to the Week