On this day. 1961: President Kennedy, receiving an honorary degree from George Washington University, joked that it only took him two minutes to earn it — in contrast to his wife's two years.
Quote of the day
"Industry, thrift, and self-control are not sought because they create wealth, but because they create character." -Calvin Coolidge
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
Subscribe to the Week