On this day. 1961: President Kennedy, receiving an honorary degree from George Washington University, joked that it only took him two minutes to earn it — in contrast to his wife's two years.
Quote of the day
"Industry, thrift, and self-control are not sought because they create wealth, but because they create character." -Calvin Coolidge
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
- The single best way to help your kid succeed at school
Subscribe to the Week