On this day. 1961: President Kennedy, receiving an honorary degree from George Washington University, joked that it only took him two minutes to earn it — in contrast to his wife's two years.
Quote of the day
"Industry, thrift, and self-control are not sought because they create wealth, but because they create character." -Calvin Coolidge
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 10 things you need to know today: August 1, 2014
- How to make classic pulled pork
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- The main lesson of Argentina's debt nightmare
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week