Texas Governor Rick Perry (R) really likes guns. He made that clear during his brief run at the Republican presidential nomination, and again in the wake of the Newton, Conn., shooting when he accused the "political left" of trying to politicize the tragedy.
But in case there was any doubt, Perry has made that point even more clear with this explosive video that prefaced his speech Friday to the NRA's annual gathering in Houston, Texas. In the video, Perry blows away a row of stationary targets with a semi-automatic assault rifle and then, a chugging guitar riff blaring behind him, strikes an action hero-like pose for the camera.
As the video ended, Perry took the stage, shouting, "Welcome to Texas, ladies and gentlemen."
If you want to see more of Texas' well-armed governor, check out this video, put together by one of his supporters:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- 10 things you need to know today: July 28, 2014
- Face it, ladies: We can't all be beautiful
Subscribe to the Week