et your mint juleps ready, folks, because it's Derby day. Saturday marks the 139th running of the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs. And as most everyone knows, it's not all about the ponies. Endearingly over-the-top hats are also a major part of the festivities. Here, a photographic guide to some of our favorites from years past:
May 6, 2006 (Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
May 3, 2003 (Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
May 3, 2008 (Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
May 2, 2009 (REUTERS/Brent Smith)
May 2, 2009 (REUTERS/Jeff Haynes)
May 7, 2011 (Frank Jansky/ZUMA Press/Corbis)
May 4, 1986 (Kit Houghton/CORBIS)
May 7, 2011 (Rob Carr/Getty Images)
May 5, 2012 (Elsa/Getty Images)
May 2, 2009 (REUTERS/Jeff Haynes/Corbis)
May 7, 2011 (Al Bello/Getty Images)
May 5, 2012 (Jamey Price/Getty Images)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- This energy source could solve all of our problems — so why is no one talking about it?
Subscribe to the Week