et your mint juleps ready, folks, because it's Derby day. Saturday marks the 139th running of the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs. And as most everyone knows, it's not all about the ponies. Endearingly over-the-top hats are also a major part of the festivities. Here, a photographic guide to some of our favorites from years past:
May 6, 2006 (Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
May 3, 2003 (Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
May 3, 2008 (Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
May 2, 2009 (REUTERS/Brent Smith)
May 2, 2009 (REUTERS/Jeff Haynes)
May 7, 2011 (Frank Jansky/ZUMA Press/Corbis)
May 4, 1986 (Kit Houghton/CORBIS)
May 7, 2011 (Rob Carr/Getty Images)
May 5, 2012 (Elsa/Getty Images)
May 2, 2009 (REUTERS/Jeff Haynes/Corbis)
May 7, 2011 (Al Bello/Getty Images)
May 5, 2012 (Jamey Price/Getty Images)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 18, 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- How moderns celebrate Good Friday and Easter
Subscribe to the Week