On this day. 1914: President Woodrow Wilson signed a proclamation establishing Mother's Day. The president said an annual holiday would let Americans show "our love and reverence for the mothers of our country."
On this day. 1974: The House Judiciary Committee began impeachment hearings against President Nixon. The president would resign three months later.
Quote of the day
"Recognizing and confronting our history is important. Transcending our history is essential. We are not limited by what we have done, or what we have left undone. We are limited only by what we are willing to do." –George W. Bush
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- How Captain America won over China
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- Attack of the invasive species
- When will the Big One strike California?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week