Last week's contest: Employers complain that recent college grads need lessons in how to behave in a job interview, since some of them text, look down at their smartphones, and even take calls. We asked for the title of a college class that would teach students what not to do while interviewing for their first job.
THE WINNER: Mono-tasking 101
Beth Simon, Oakland
SECOND PLACE: COM 104: Communicating Without Electronic Devices
Tim Lanter, Alexandria, Ky.
THIRD PLACE: Interview Techniques of Ancient Civilizations: 1980–1995
Charles & Mary Parry, Catonsville, Md.
EyeContact Yes, iContact No: A Pre-Modern Approach to the Post-Modern Job Interview
Russell Siler Jones, Asheville, N.C.
What to Expect While You're Still Texting
Nicholas Clark, Charlottesville, Va.
Mark Weaver, Redondo Beach, Calif.
Fundamentals of Live Human Interaction
Clive Nickerson, Cranston, R.I.
How to Blow a Job Interview Without Really Trying 101
Larry Hatke, Jackson, Wis.
George Parker, Raleigh, N.C.
Turn Off, Tune Out, and Drop In
Cathy Casriel, New York City
Remedial Introduction to Behaving Like a Grown-up
David Levin, Edgewater, Md.
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, Va.
How to Ignore Friends and Text Less People
Brett Howard, Washington, D.C.
What I Should Have Learned in Kindergarten
Jim Carroll Jones, Mountain View, Calif.
Craig Kesselheim, Southwest Harbor, Maine
How Not To Make a Last Impression
Margaret Peterson, Des Moines, Iowa
Comprehensive Analysis of Self-Explanatory Interview Behavior
Elicia Elliott, Mercer Island, Wash.
How to Succeed in Business by Really Trying
Manuel V. Ojeda, Nogales, Ariz.
Janine Witte, New Hope, Pa.
Why There's No Job on the Verizon
Ramon Presson, Franklin, Tenn.
Living Without a Net
Christopher Glenn, La Mesa, Calif.
Hands Free Job Interviewing
Herbert Ludwig, Dana Point, Calif.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- This week I learned your coin toss odds are better than you think, and more
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Cuba should beware of Westerners bearing gifts
Subscribe to the Week