Last night, the Boston Bruins advanced to the second round of the NHL playoffs in thrilling fashion, staging an incredible comeback that saw them score four unanswered goals down the stretch to stun the Toronto Maple Leafs and win Game 7 of their first round series.
Down by two with under two minutes to go, the Bruins pulled their goalie to gain the extra man advantage, and quickly cut the lead to one. Then, with less than a minute left and the Bruins' season on the line, Boston's Patrice Bergeron tied it up with a high shot that just snuck in under the crossbar. A few minutes into the overtime period, Bergeron struck again, knocking home a loose puck to cap the unbelievable come-from-behind win in front of the raucous crowd packed inside Boston's TD Garden.
It's an emotional win for the Bruins and their fans, who have proudly embraced the city's sports teams and the Boston Strong slogan in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombing. Just days after the attack, fans welcomed the team back to the city with a chilling, unified rendition of the national anthem, and the Bruins had an iconic victim of those attacks, Jeff Bauman, serve as the team's banner captain before Game 2 of the series. The man who rescued him, Carlos Arredondo, received the same honor for Game 5.
For the Leafs, the loss is especially tough. They'd already come back from down three games to one to tie the series — and in their first playoff appearance in a decade, nonetheless — only to see it slip away in the final minutes.
The Bruins play the New York Rangers on Thursday.
Here's the goal that cut the game to one:
And the game-tying goal:
And the game-winning goal in overtime:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
Subscribe to the Week