Oil! That dark, viscous stuff that makes the world go round — or at the very least greases the great wheels of industry. Oil is so ingrained in the modern world — from fueling your trip to the supermarket to powering armies — that it's hard to wrap your mind around its enormous impact. Here, for some useful context, are some stats about the world's leading source of power:
Miles of oil pipelines the U.S. has within its borders. For comparison, the distance from New York to Los Angeles is about 2,778 miles, and there are 160,000 miles of highways in the National Highway System.
Gallons per barrel of oil.
Gallons of motor gasoline derived from one barrel of crude oil. The remainder yields distillate and residual fuel oils, jet fuel, and other products.
Pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2) produced from burning a gallon of gasoline that does not contain ethanol.
Barrels of oil Saudi Arabia produced each day, on average, in 2012.
The highest average retail price for a gallon of gasoline in the U.S., recorded on July 7, 2008.
Lowest-ever price per gallon in the U.S., recorded during a pricing war in Missouri in 1951.
Years oil has been used by people. Its original use: Treating frostbite and gout.
Years ago that crude oil was first pumped from the ground in Sichuan, China.
The world's total daily demand for oil in barrels, on average so far in 2013 (including projections).
Africa's total daily demand for oil in barrels, on average so far in 2013.
The Americas' total daily demand for oil in barrels, on average so far in 2013.
Barrels of oil the U.S. consumes each day.
Barrels of oil Canada consumes each day.
Oil baron J.D. Rockefeller’s adjusted net worth at the time of his death.
Barrels of oil the Trans-Alaska Pipeline has shipped since it was built in 1977.
Barrels of oil the Deepwater Horizon oil spill leaked into the Gulf of Mexico in 2010.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week