Oil! That dark, viscous stuff that makes the world go round — or at the very least greases the great wheels of industry. Oil is so ingrained in the modern world — from fueling your trip to the supermarket to powering armies — that it's hard to wrap your mind around its enormous impact. Here, for some useful context, are some stats about the world's leading source of power:
Miles of oil pipelines the U.S. has within its borders. For comparison, the distance from New York to Los Angeles is about 2,778 miles, and there are 160,000 miles of highways in the National Highway System.
Gallons per barrel of oil.
Gallons of motor gasoline derived from one barrel of crude oil. The remainder yields distillate and residual fuel oils, jet fuel, and other products.
Pounds of carbon dioxide (CO2) produced from burning a gallon of gasoline that does not contain ethanol.
Barrels of oil Saudi Arabia produced each day, on average, in 2012.
The highest average retail price for a gallon of gasoline in the U.S., recorded on July 7, 2008.
Lowest-ever price per gallon in the U.S., recorded during a pricing war in Missouri in 1951.
Years oil has been used by people. Its original use: Treating frostbite and gout.
Years ago that crude oil was first pumped from the ground in Sichuan, China.
The world's total daily demand for oil in barrels, on average so far in 2013 (including projections).
Africa's total daily demand for oil in barrels, on average so far in 2013.
The Americas' total daily demand for oil in barrels, on average so far in 2013.
Barrels of oil the U.S. consumes each day.
Barrels of oil Canada consumes each day.
Oil baron J.D. Rockefeller’s adjusted net worth at the time of his death.
Barrels of oil the Trans-Alaska Pipeline has shipped since it was built in 1977.
Barrels of oil the Deepwater Horizon oil spill leaked into the Gulf of Mexico in 2010.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- A scientific fact-check of 2001: A Space Odyssey
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- What if The Purge was real?
Subscribe to the Week