On Monday, a massive tornado ripped a path of destruction up to a mile wide and 20 miles long through Moore, Okla. Entire neighborhoods, a medical center, and two elementary schools where churned up and spit back out by the tornado's 200 miles-per-hour winds. At least 24 people are already confirmed dead, and more fatalities are expected.
Today, the people of Moore have climbed out of their shelters to survey the ruins and try to salvage what's left. Here, a collection of heartbreaking photos of daring rescues, tearful reunions, and families taking in their unthinkable new reality.
A child is pulled from the rubble of the Plaza Towers Elementary School. The students and teachers reportedly took shelter in closets, classrooms, and bathrooms, clinging to each other for protection. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)
A woman carries an injured child to a triage center near the elementary school. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)
A child calls out to his father as he's pulled from the rubble of the school. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)
Rescuers and neighbors come together to pull survivors from the wreckage. (Gene Blevins/ZUMA Press/Corbis)
Two girls stand in the rubble of a home. (REUTERS/Gene Blevins)
An aerial view of the remains of homes in Moore. (AP Photo/Steve Gooch)
A family climbs out of their storm shelter to survey the damage. (REUTERS/Richard Rowe)
A man looks at a boulder that hit a car during the storm. (REUTERS/Gene Blevins)
Peterson Zatterlee and a friend comfort his dog, Ripply, who survived the destruction of their home and neighborhood. (REUTERS/Gene Blevins)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- How to make classic pulled pork
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- 10 things you need to know today: August 1, 2014
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
Subscribe to the Week