The song: After months of teasers and snippets, Beyonce fans can finally hear the first full song from Beyonce's upcoming, currently untitled fifth studio album — and the song finds Queen B back in fine form. "I'm a grown woman, I can do whatever I want," sings Beyonce. Titled "Grown Woman," the Timbaland-produced track — which is widely speculated to be a leak — debuted, in part, in a Pepsi ad earlier this year. But this is the first chance fans have had to listen to Beyonce's latest in full. Does it live up to the sky-high expectations?
The reaction: "It's likely that Beyonce still isn't 100 percent ready for you to hear it, but sometimes the art speaks for itself," says Kia Makarechi at The Huffington Post. Now that "Grown Woman" has finally made its way online, we can see it's a "girl power anthem" that's sure to get plenty of play this summer. "The track gets increasingly melodic yet simultaneously tribal as it goes on, at times sounding like the sassiest, most grown up jump rope rhyme ever," says Jessica Sager at Popcrush. In fact the song is so complete, and its release so well-timed, that the timing of this leak seems suspiciously serendipitous, says Cory Lopez at Celebuzz. "Could this song release be a clever move by the Queen to change the conversation" from the pregnancy rumors swirling around her? "If so, well played."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
Subscribe to the Week