The song: After months of teasers and snippets, Beyonce fans can finally hear the first full song from Beyonce's upcoming, currently untitled fifth studio album — and the song finds Queen B back in fine form. "I'm a grown woman, I can do whatever I want," sings Beyonce. Titled "Grown Woman," the Timbaland-produced track — which is widely speculated to be a leak — debuted, in part, in a Pepsi ad earlier this year. But this is the first chance fans have had to listen to Beyonce's latest in full. Does it live up to the sky-high expectations?
The reaction: "It's likely that Beyonce still isn't 100 percent ready for you to hear it, but sometimes the art speaks for itself," says Kia Makarechi at The Huffington Post. Now that "Grown Woman" has finally made its way online, we can see it's a "girl power anthem" that's sure to get plenty of play this summer. "The track gets increasingly melodic yet simultaneously tribal as it goes on, at times sounding like the sassiest, most grown up jump rope rhyme ever," says Jessica Sager at Popcrush. In fact the song is so complete, and its release so well-timed, that the timing of this leak seems suspiciously serendipitous, says Cory Lopez at Celebuzz. "Could this song release be a clever move by the Queen to change the conversation" from the pregnancy rumors swirling around her? "If so, well played."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
Subscribe to the Week