The real threat to heterosexual monogamy? Female boredom in the bedroom, says Lindy West at Jezebel. Well, "what if you could take a pill and fix your broken relationship?" Daniel Bergner's article in this week's New York Times Magazine about the ongoing search for a "female Viagra" — a pill to boost a woman's desire — has some fascinating new research suggesting that women's "libidos wane much more rapidly and drastically than men's." That's a problem for long-term relationships, and it's not a function of biology — "Bergner's reading of the body of research on women's libidos points to a much different conclusion: Boredom." That means we either open up marriage, live in sexless misery, or rev up the female eros. An excerpt:
So what do you do? What do you do if you're a gal who thinks cultural conditioning is bullshit but you feel biologically monogamous and then suddenly you find yourself avoiding sex a decade into your relationship with your awesome husband or wife or partner but the only thing worse than bed-death, to you, is the idea of bringing other people into that bed? Well, that's where lady Viagra — the magic pill — would come in. Lybrido and Lybridos, the drugs profiled in Bergner's article, haven't seen much measurable success yet. But they could be just the workaround that some couples need to save their monogamous relationships — or, to allow monogamy and longterm sexual satisfaction to coexist for couples grappling with HSDD [hypoactive sexual-desire disorder].
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week