A cargo train derailed Tuesday in a Baltimore suburb after colliding with a tractor-trailer, resulting in a huge explosion that shook buildings and shut down a nearby highway.
Authorities said the train struck the tractor-trailer around 2 pm, flipping several cars off the tracks. The severity and extent of injuries related to the accident were not immediately clear, though officials said the derailment took place in a sparsely populated industrial area. The two passengers aboard the train were reportedly uninjured, and the truck driver was said to be in serious but stable condition.
Baltimore police urged anyone in the area to consider evacuating as a precaution.
Warehouses and businesses in the area of Rt 40 -- if you can see the smoke plume, emergency mgmt advises you to evacuate.— BACO Public Safety (@BACOPoliceFire) May 28, 2013
The warning came as amateur videos appearing to show the huge explosion and resulting inferno began to trickle out (WARNING: Video contains some coarse language):
Twitter users have posted incredible images of the wrecked train engulfed in flames.
PHOTO: Fire burning after freight train derailment in Baltimore County, MD twitter.com/nbcnightlynews…— NBC Nightly News (@nbcnightlynews) May 28, 2013
Screen shot of train derailment as seen from WBAL chopper. Note the damage to the building on the right. twitter.com/acarvin/status…— Andy Carvin (@acarvin) May 28, 2013
Baltimore's fire chief said 15 cars had jumped the tracks. He added that emergency responders were containing the blaze and letting the fire burn itself out until they can determine what the train was carrying.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
Subscribe to the Week