A cargo train derailed Tuesday in a Baltimore suburb after colliding with a tractor-trailer, resulting in a huge explosion that shook buildings and shut down a nearby highway.
Authorities said the train struck the tractor-trailer around 2 pm, flipping several cars off the tracks. The severity and extent of injuries related to the accident were not immediately clear, though officials said the derailment took place in a sparsely populated industrial area. The two passengers aboard the train were reportedly uninjured, and the truck driver was said to be in serious but stable condition.
Baltimore police urged anyone in the area to consider evacuating as a precaution.
Warehouses and businesses in the area of Rt 40 -- if you can see the smoke plume, emergency mgmt advises you to evacuate.— BACO Public Safety (@BACOPoliceFire) May 28, 2013
The warning came as amateur videos appearing to show the huge explosion and resulting inferno began to trickle out (WARNING: Video contains some coarse language):
Twitter users have posted incredible images of the wrecked train engulfed in flames.
PHOTO: Fire burning after freight train derailment in Baltimore County, MD twitter.com/nbcnightlynews…— NBC Nightly News (@nbcnightlynews) May 28, 2013
Screen shot of train derailment as seen from WBAL chopper. Note the damage to the building on the right. twitter.com/acarvin/status…— Andy Carvin (@acarvin) May 28, 2013
Baltimore's fire chief said 15 cars had jumped the tracks. He added that emergency responders were containing the blaze and letting the fire burn itself out until they can determine what the train was carrying.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- 10 things you need to know today: September 30, 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
Subscribe to the Week