This abandoned island used to be the most densely populated place on Earth
In 1959, over 5,000 coal miners and their families occupied this Japanese island, which is the size of 12 football fields
Michael S. Yamashita/CORBIS
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- The girl who wouldn't die
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
Subscribe to the Week