For those who haven't read George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, last night's episode of Game of Thrones — which featured the infamous, long-awaited Red Wedding scene, in which several main characters were mercilessly killed off — came as a brutal and unexpected gut punch. But for those who were aware the scene was coming, the episode also offered the sadistic pleasure of watching their friends experience the scene without any idea of the horror they were about to witness. Fortunately for all of us, a number of fans had the foresight to tape their friends' reactions — and the results are just as compulsively watchable as the series itself:
And for those who haven't had enough, check out the @RedWeddingTears Twitter account, which collects the horrified reactions of fans who watched last night's episode. A few choice excerpts:
NOPE I'M OUT I QUIT I'M DONE GAME OF THRONES HAS KILLED ME GOODBYE CRUEL WORLD IT WAS NICE LIVING— moonlight (@solegrace) June 3, 2013
If something AWFUL...I mean WRETCHED..doesn't happen to a Lannister next week (NOT Tyrion)...I'm done with #gameofthrones.— RICHELLE CAREY (@RichelleCarey) June 3, 2013
i hope satan comes to walder frey and lord bolton while they're asleep and drag them to hell— robb stark ಥ_ಥ (@imaginedragwens) June 3, 2013
I feel like the world has come to an end. Why ? Why god why was Robb Stark, his mother and his wife was assasinated...? #GameOfThrones— Sirish Paudel (@Sirish_Paudel) June 3, 2013
I wanted to tweet five minutes ago about watching this weeks game of thrones. BUT I COULDN'T BECAUSE I WAS SOBBING AN OCEAN OF TEARS.— Sinéad Una (@flowersandfolk) June 3, 2013
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- Why I choose not to be rich
- What if The Purge was real?
- Israel's invasion of Gaza shows peace talks were a sham all along
Subscribe to the Week