Jon Stewart sounds like a man who has been audited by the IRS. Maybe multiple times. Kicking off his last week at The Daily Show before taking the summer off, Stewart gleefully introduced a new segment called "Where Are Your Receipts, A--hole?" — essentially turning the tables on the Internal Revenue Service, at least rhetorically. With all the scrutiny of the IRS stemming from its targeting of Tea Party tax-exempt applicants, Stewart lays in: "Sucks to get audited, doesn't it?"
He puts on the green eyeshade (metaphorically) for the next part. After running through a series of questionable IRS expenses uncovered in a new Treasury Department inspector generals' report, Stewart warns the IRS — with obvious relish — that this audit will take a long time. He finishes by trolling the tax agency with a suggestion for somebody who might be able to help them through their audit.
As today's bonus video, Stewart offers his take on Sen. John McCain's (R-Ariz.) covert day trip to Syria to meet with rebels trying to unseat President Bashar al-Assad. Noting that McCain was very likely photographed with two rebels involved in a kidnapping, Stewart offers this zinger: "Oh my God, John McCain is literally palling around with terrorists!" He then brings it back to policy, and McCain's assertion that it's easy to tell the good guys from the bad. Watch:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
Subscribe to the Week