elcome to "What Next?", The Week's contest about current events.
Last week's question: A caped crusader in a wrestling mask is patrolling the streets of Mexico City, trying to aid pedestrians by jumping in front of cars and trying to tame the chaotic traffic. What could a "superhero" do to best help your town?
THE WINNER: Redirect relocating Californians to Albuquerque
Graham Salemme, Austin, Tex.
SECOND PLACE: Feed parking meters before they expire
Janine Witte, New Hope, Pa.
THIRD PLACE: Give us a championship team—in any sport
Sharon Sandy, Cleveland, Oh.
Explain math to casino patrons here
Jeff Cox, Shawnee, Okla.
Prevent the insidious proliferation of frozen yogurt shops
Jeffrey Contompasis, Ashburn, Va.
Spin that cape like a fan and cool us down
Sharon Anck, Phoenix, Ariz.
Disable all handheld electronic devices so people actually communicate with one another
Dick LaVine, New York City
Climb onto a steamroller and fix the potholes
Al Stoffel, San Diego, Calif.
Get our politicians to agree on something, anything
Mark Weaver, Redondo Beach, Calif.
Keep parents quiet on the sidelines of their kids’ games
Charles & Mary Parry, Catonsville, Md.
Protect citizens from other people’s obnoxious children
Lydia Sannella, Mill Valley, Calif.
Cut down on the line at Chipotle
Nick Vaci, Columbus, Ohio
Translate Southern accents for Northern tourists
Mike Seaver, Charleston, S.C.
Leap between politicians and the media
Kenneth R. Updegrove, Cedaredge, Colo.
Hold up a bridge over the Skagit River
Katherine Reinecke, Mount Vernon, Wash.
Roll back the price bar back on service station gas pumps
Irene Sierpien, Warren, Mich.
Aid citizens by jumping in front of politicians to keep them from entering their offices
Doug Merkl, Upper Marlboro, Md.
Disable power mowers at dinnertime and all day on Sunday
Frank Wall, Downers Grove, Ill.
Richard Hayes Phillips, Canton, N.Y.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
Subscribe to the Week