If you've ever woken up in a cold sweat longing for the warm, familiar ambrosia stored in your mother's teat, we've got some good news for you: An Austin-based candy-maker called Lollyphile is now selling breast milk–flavored lollipops for adventurous adults looking to indulge their oral fixations.
The lollipops don't actually contain any breast milk — they're vegan and mostly made of sugar — but were created by taste-testing real breast milk generously donated by four new moms. "Can you imagine armies of pumping mothers?" Lollyphile founder Jason Darling says in an interview with the Los Angeles Times. "Managing that would be a logistical nightmare."
As for what these Oedipal confections actually taste like, the flavor is "sort of like almond milk," says Darling, "but sweeter." Since debuting the pops on the Lollyphile website on Monday, the company says it has already sold a few thousand treats.
But maybe we shouldn't be too surprised by the candy's overnight success. After all, there are already communities online solely devoted to developing recipes from nutrient-dense, human lactate — everything from cheese to strawberry buttercream cupcakes.
"These lollipops won't bring back childhood memory," write the lollipop's creators at their website. But they are "quite possibly the most inherently satisfying flavor of all time."
Give the breast milk–flavored pops a try here.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
Subscribe to the Week