Jon Stewart had a New Jersey Moment on The Daily Show on Wednesday night. You may not know it from his fancy suits and "bourgeois pronunciations," Stewart says, but at heart he's just a "simple Jersey boy." After waxing poetic about the Garden State, Stewart gets down to politics: Gov. Chris Christie's (R) big decision on how to handle replacing the late Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.).
Stewart starts out by noting that Christie had three options: Name an interim senator to fill out the rest of Lautenberg's term, have voters elect a new senator in already scheduled November 2013 elections — when Christie is up for re-election — or spend millions on a special election earlier this fall. He then expresses confidence that Christie won't choose option three, because in 2009, he ruled out holding a costly special election if, hypothetically, Sen. Lautenberg died.
Of course, Christie opted for the third option, scheduling a special election three weeks before his own re-election bid — a race he's expected to easily win. What's more, the conventional wisdom is that he did this so he wouldn't appear on the same ballot as presumptive Democratic Senate nominee Cory Booker. In other words, Stewart says, he's wasting at least $12 million in taxpayer dollars in a "self-serving, corrupt abuse of power."
That's outrageous and irresponsible, Stewart charges — then adds: "I miss New Jersey so much!" There's also an extended pizza joke thrown in. Watch above.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Ban PowerPoint!
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Rise of the machines
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week