The communication records of millions of U.S. citizens are reportedly being collected. Photo: Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
All through the night, the National Security Council worked with the intelligence community to come up with a formal response to Glenn Greenwald's story in the Guardian about NSA telephone record collection.
A senior government official sends along the combined talking points:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
Subscribe to the Week