On this day. 1892: Benjamin Harrison became the first president to attend a Major League Baseball game. The Cincinnati Reds beat the Washington Senators, 7-4. Even back then, baseball fans probably said of Washington: "First in war, first in peace. Last in the American/National league."
Quote of the day
"There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means." -Calvin Coolidge
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- How Captain America won over China
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week