On this day. 1892: Benjamin Harrison became the first president to attend a Major League Baseball game. The Cincinnati Reds beat the Washington Senators, 7-4. Even back then, baseball fans probably said of Washington: "First in war, first in peace. Last in the American/National league."
Quote of the day
"There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means." -Calvin Coolidge
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
Subscribe to the Week