On this day. 1892: Benjamin Harrison became the first president to attend a Major League Baseball game. The Cincinnati Reds beat the Washington Senators, 7-4. Even back then, baseball fans probably said of Washington: "First in war, first in peace. Last in the American/National league."
Quote of the day
"There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means." -Calvin Coolidge
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- The best books we read in 2014
- How I lost all my money
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How to wrap a present with mathematical precision (and waste less paper)
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
Subscribe to the Week