On this day. 1892: Benjamin Harrison became the first president to attend a Major League Baseball game. The Cincinnati Reds beat the Washington Senators, 7-4. Even back then, baseball fans probably said of Washington: "First in war, first in peace. Last in the American/National league."
Quote of the day
"There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means." -Calvin Coolidge
More from West Wing Reports...
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
Subscribe to the Week