News Headline: "Rush Limbaugh: Obama leading 'coup d'etat' to 'take over' country"
News Headline: "Louisiana legislator invokes witch doctor to defend creationist law"
News Headline: "Warner Bros. drops Dumb and Dumber sequel"
Too much competition.
News Headline: "NSA surveillance scandal: Donald Trump calls Edward Snowden a 'grandstander' "
A public service reminder: Outbreaks of irony can occur at any time or place, without warning.
News Headline: "Human-scale invisibility cloak unveiled"
Trump looks to be a 44 long, now that we're at it.
Beware the ides of National Accordion Awareness Month.
News Headline: "Chicago board votes to close 50 schools"
News Headline: "Philadelphia mayor defends school closures, layoffs"
It's too early for the big name change. But we do keep taking steps toward The Nation Formerly Known as Great.
+ E.R., a Los Angeles reader, regarding QT's asking readers to please stop playing word games with reports on medical marijuana for pets, writes:
"My dog wants some. We shouldn't terrier delay."
+ Dan Skowron, a Romeoville, Ill., reader, writes:
"Would this be lab tested?"
Stop it now.
News Headline: "'Quit Google, Facebook,' suggests tech expert as surveillance scandal deepens"
No. Couldn't do it.
Google and Facebook are always there for us.
It would be like losing, well, a big sister or brother.
QT Grammar R Us Seminar on the English Language;
Catherine Jones, a Halifax, Nova Scotia, reader, wants you to know that when you hear about a "robbery gone bad," you are hearing about a robbery gone badly.
As opposed to Wall Street, where the robberies are going fantastic.
Write to QT at email@example.com
QT appears Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 400,000 Americans marched for climate justice. Now what?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week