"The legend is never the whole story," says the teaser for Diana, an upcoming biopic chronicling the last two years of Princess Diana's life. But you'd never know it from this brief, not particularly illuminating glimpse of the film, which offers a dialogue-free montage highlighting scattered moments from the life of the People's Princess — particularly her relationships with Dr. Hasnat Khan (Naveen Andrews) and Dodi Fayed (Cas Anvar).
What the Diana teaser does offer is a chance to see what star Naomi Watts looks like as Princess Di — and the resemblance is so close that it's almost spooky. Audiences might be surprised to learn that Watts wasn't initially cast in the role, which originally belonged to Zero Dark Thirty's Jessica Chastain, who backed out due to scheduling conflicts.
Will Watts' performance in the title role be as impressive as her resemblance to the late princess? U.K. audiences can find out for themselves when Diana hits theaters on September 20. (A U.S. release date has not yet been announced.)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week