"The legend is never the whole story," says the teaser for Diana, an upcoming biopic chronicling the last two years of Princess Diana's life. But you'd never know it from this brief, not particularly illuminating glimpse of the film, which offers a dialogue-free montage highlighting scattered moments from the life of the People's Princess — particularly her relationships with Dr. Hasnat Khan (Naveen Andrews) and Dodi Fayed (Cas Anvar).
What the Diana teaser does offer is a chance to see what star Naomi Watts looks like as Princess Di — and the resemblance is so close that it's almost spooky. Audiences might be surprised to learn that Watts wasn't initially cast in the role, which originally belonged to Zero Dark Thirty's Jessica Chastain, who backed out due to scheduling conflicts.
Will Watts' performance in the title role be as impressive as her resemblance to the late princess? U.K. audiences can find out for themselves when Diana hits theaters on September 20. (A U.S. release date has not yet been announced.)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to make corn dogs
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
Subscribe to the Week