"The legend is never the whole story," says the teaser for Diana, an upcoming biopic chronicling the last two years of Princess Diana's life. But you'd never know it from this brief, not particularly illuminating glimpse of the film, which offers a dialogue-free montage highlighting scattered moments from the life of the People's Princess — particularly her relationships with Dr. Hasnat Khan (Naveen Andrews) and Dodi Fayed (Cas Anvar).
What the Diana teaser does offer is a chance to see what star Naomi Watts looks like as Princess Di — and the resemblance is so close that it's almost spooky. Audiences might be surprised to learn that Watts wasn't initially cast in the role, which originally belonged to Zero Dark Thirty's Jessica Chastain, who backed out due to scheduling conflicts.
Will Watts' performance in the title role be as impressive as her resemblance to the late princess? U.K. audiences can find out for themselves when Diana hits theaters on September 20. (A U.S. release date has not yet been announced.)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week