"The legend is never the whole story," says the teaser for Diana, an upcoming biopic chronicling the last two years of Princess Diana's life. But you'd never know it from this brief, not particularly illuminating glimpse of the film, which offers a dialogue-free montage highlighting scattered moments from the life of the People's Princess — particularly her relationships with Dr. Hasnat Khan (Naveen Andrews) and Dodi Fayed (Cas Anvar).
What the Diana teaser does offer is a chance to see what star Naomi Watts looks like as Princess Di — and the resemblance is so close that it's almost spooky. Audiences might be surprised to learn that Watts wasn't initially cast in the role, which originally belonged to Zero Dark Thirty's Jessica Chastain, who backed out due to scheduling conflicts.
Will Watts' performance in the title role be as impressive as her resemblance to the late princess? U.K. audiences can find out for themselves when Diana hits theaters on September 20. (A U.S. release date has not yet been announced.)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Bill O'Reilly: Obama's comedy is unpresidential, because Abe Lincoln
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
Subscribe to the Week