Hillary Clinton set off a fresh round of speculation about her political plans this week when she made her debut on Twitter. In her first post, the former first lady, senator, and secretary of State thanked Adam Smith and Stacy Lambe — the creators of the "Texts from Hillary" Tumblr that went viral last year — for inspiring her foray into social media. "Thanks for the inspiration..." she wrote. "I'll take it from here." Her account promptly received a flood of followers. Here, a look at Clinton's viral success on Twitter, by the numbers:
Tweets Hillary Clinton had posted as of Wednesday night, more than two full days after she made her debut.
List of accomplishments Clinton included in her Twitter bio, which admirers praised as a masterpiece, both for its brevity and broad political appeal. Clinton said she was a "wife, mom, lawyer, women & kids advocate, FLOAR, FLOTUS, US Senator, SecState, author, dog owner, hair icon, pantsuit aficionado, glass ceiling cracker," and, teasing about her plans for 2016 and beyond, "TBD."
Twitter accounts Hillary is following. Her list includes Bill and Chelsea Clinton.
Followers she had at 1 p.m. Monday, after her account had been up for approximately 15 minutes.
Additional followers Clinton collected in the next hour.
Followers Hillary Clinton's Twitter account had amassed by 8 p.m. Wednesday.
Followers the "Texts from Hillary" Tumblr attracted last year. The blog paired a famous picture of Clinton, peering at her Blackberry through large sunglasses, with made-up messages Smith and Lambe imagined her sending to staff, family, and fellow world leaders.
Twitter followers Smith and Lambe had by the time they posted their last "Text from Hillary."
Followers Bill Clinton has. He has been on Twitter long enough to post 36 tweets.
Followers Chelsea Clinton has. A product of the digital age, she has tweeted a lot more than her parents — 1,100 times.
Twitter users following New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, considered a possible GOP rival should Clinton enter the 2016 presidential race.
Twitter followers President Obama has.
Sources: Daily Beast, Texts from Hillary, The Hill, Twitter
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
Subscribe to the Week