Hillary Clinton set off a fresh round of speculation about her political plans this week when she made her debut on Twitter. In her first post, the former first lady, senator, and secretary of State thanked Adam Smith and Stacy Lambe — the creators of the "Texts from Hillary" Tumblr that went viral last year — for inspiring her foray into social media. "Thanks for the inspiration..." she wrote. "I'll take it from here." Her account promptly received a flood of followers. Here, a look at Clinton's viral success on Twitter, by the numbers:
Tweets Hillary Clinton had posted as of Wednesday night, more than two full days after she made her debut.
List of accomplishments Clinton included in her Twitter bio, which admirers praised as a masterpiece, both for its brevity and broad political appeal. Clinton said she was a "wife, mom, lawyer, women & kids advocate, FLOAR, FLOTUS, US Senator, SecState, author, dog owner, hair icon, pantsuit aficionado, glass ceiling cracker," and, teasing about her plans for 2016 and beyond, "TBD."
Twitter accounts Hillary is following. Her list includes Bill and Chelsea Clinton.
Followers she had at 1 p.m. Monday, after her account had been up for approximately 15 minutes.
Additional followers Clinton collected in the next hour.
Followers Hillary Clinton's Twitter account had amassed by 8 p.m. Wednesday.
Followers the "Texts from Hillary" Tumblr attracted last year. The blog paired a famous picture of Clinton, peering at her Blackberry through large sunglasses, with made-up messages Smith and Lambe imagined her sending to staff, family, and fellow world leaders.
Twitter followers Smith and Lambe had by the time they posted their last "Text from Hillary."
Followers Bill Clinton has. He has been on Twitter long enough to post 36 tweets.
Followers Chelsea Clinton has. A product of the digital age, she has tweeted a lot more than her parents — 1,100 times.
Twitter users following New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, considered a possible GOP rival should Clinton enter the 2016 presidential race.
Twitter followers President Obama has.
Sources: Daily Beast, Texts from Hillary, The Hill, Twitter
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week