Gov. Chris Christie (R-N.J.) has gotten a lot of grief — including a lovingly brutal takedown from Jon Stewart — for deciding to hold an expensive, politically expedient special election to replace the late Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D), three weeks before Christie himself faces voters in his re-election bid.
Few people think the popular governor faces much risk of losing to his Democratic opponent, state Sen. Barbara Buono, but New Jersey is a blue state, and why not try to nip any potential scandal in the bud? So on Wednesday night, the media-savvy Christie took a page from President Obama's playbook and went on NBC Late Night to slow-jam the news with Jimmy Fallon and his house band, the Roots.
The result is pretty good. Christie makes his case, Fallon gets in some sexual innuendo, and Roots singer Tariq Trotter delivers some of the best lines. Fallon slips in a few fat jokes and tries to get Christie to announce his 2016 presidential candidacy, but Christie gives as good as he gets — and one of the things he gets is another viral video. Which is something Christie, no matter what you think of his politics, is better at than any living politician.
In another part of the show, Fallon moves from local politics to local sports, resurrecting his Tebowie characters — what it sounds like, a mix of ex-New York Jet backup quarterback Tim Tebow and David Bowie — to comment on Tebow's signing by the New England Patriots. Key lyric, sung to the tune of Bowie's "Rebel Rebel":
"Tebow Tebow, it's Tom Brady's show / Will you play? I don't think so."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Why is American internet so slow?
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week