A huge explosion erupted at a chemical plant near Baton Rouge, La., Thursday, injuring dozens and leaving at least one dead.
The explosion and the subsequent fire that broke out at the plant sent seventy-three workers to area hospitals, according to Gov. Bobby Jindal (R). Of those hospitalized, one is in critical condition and two are in serious condition, officials said.
Images from the site show a towering fireball billowing black smoke into the sky
Pic of explosion at Williams Olefins from Ryan Meador twitter.com/CherylMercedes…— Cheryl Mercedes (@CherylMercedes) June 13, 2013
Photo: Explosion inside Louisiana chemical plant; reports of 25 injuries twitter.com/NBCNews/status…— NBC News (@NBCNews) June 13, 2013
A weather reporter for local CBS affiliate WAFB noted that the smoke plume from the explosion was so huge it was picked up on Doppler Radar
Footage obtained by CNN showed the plant burning:
The explosion occurred at around 8:30 a.m. at a facility roughly 20 miles southeast of Baton Rouge. The plant makes more than one billion pounds annually of chemicals used in the manufacturing of plastics.
However, the state's Department of Environmental Quality said early tests determined there was no immediate danger from escaping chemicals since they were being eliminated through a controlled burn.
Though there is no known cause of the explosion as of yet, local WAFB reported that the facility had been flagged for a compliance violation in the past. It was not immediately clear how significant that violation was nor what it was for.
Jindal said the plant had been approved for expansion and was in the middle of a turnaround. Williams plant does have some prior compliance issues, according to Assistant DEQ Secretary Cheryl Nolan. Nolan also said she is unsure if the compliance issues were serious issues, but DEQ will be taking a look. [WAFB]
The explosion comes two months after a fertilizer plant in West, Texas, killed 15 people and wrecked much of the town. Investigators have yet to determine what caused that explosion.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- The week's best photojournalism
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
Subscribe to the Week