The main theme of Thursday night's Daily Show was gay rights — summer host John Oliver is obviously a supporter, as are most Daily Show viewers, demographically and based on audience reaction. Oliver takes a rhetorical cudgel to the Boy Scouts, Pat Robertson, Russia's Vladimir Putin, the Vatican (the buildings, not the religion), and, especially, France. (Watch below.)
Showing some flamboyantly dressed demonstrators taking to the streets over France's recent legalization of same-sex marriage, Oliver wonders: "How is it that France's anti-gay protests look so much gayer than our pro-gay protests?"
But Oliver and "senior social media correspondent" Jessica Williams also have a delightful segment on Hillary Clinton joining Twitter this week. (Watch above.) Oliver pillories the breathless media reaction to Clinton's jump into the microblogging platform, then turns the show over to Williams for tips on how Clinton can use Twitter to her best advantage.
Williams has five suggestions, keying off notable mistakes made by prominent politicians. You surely guessed that Anthony Wiener is in there, as are Newt Gingrich (boring), Newark Mayor Cory Booker (super-heroic), and Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), whose Twitter ramblings Williams calls "weird" but we call poetic.
Twitter can help you reach your constituents in ways that are beneficial to everyone, Williams says, but there are dangers lurking in those 140-character missives. "Let me put it in terms that Hillary Clinton would understand," she concludes. "Hillary, girl: Being on Twitter is like having 100 Benghazi hearings every single day."
Here, Oliver waves the flag for gay rights:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week