ews Headline: "Is Trayvon Martin case the 'trial of the century'?"
News Headline: "Why the Bulger trial is the trial of the century"
News Headline: "Bradley Manning and the real trial of the century"
Name another week with three trials of the century.
News Headline: "White House: Syria crossed 'red line' by using chemical weapons"
The White House is right.
Civilization means nothing if we fail to use acceptable methods whenever killing tens of thousands of people.
News Headline: "Boehner calls Snowden a traitor; Rand Paul 'reserving judgment'"
Whenever you hear the phrase "reserving judgment" from a politician, replace it with "still checking internal polling data."
It gives a better sense of the story.
Tom Hedeen, a Chicago reader, regarding QT's asking readers to please stop playing word games with reports on medical marijuana for pets, writes
"No problem here. My dog is on the waggin."
News Headline: "Pa. man finds reptile near sewer, offers gator aid."
Stop it now.
News Headline: "NSA surveillance program is one of many Big Brothers watching"
Do you sometimes wish you could leave all the surveillance and electronics behind and find some cabin in the middle of nowhere?
But be sure to smile for the satellites.
QT Grammar R Us Seminar on the English Language:
News Headline: "Bighorns: Pneumonia outbreaks have decimated some herds"
Rob Bligh, an Omaha, Neb., reader writes:
"My guess is that wildlife biologists would settle for a version of the disease that would kill only one lamb in 10."
You are right.
To "decimate," or kill every 10th person, was a punishment in the Roman army for legions that misbehaved.
But "decimate" now seems to mean destroying most of something.
So "decimate" has been decimated.
And as long as we are at it: The "lion's share" isn't most of something, but all of it.
Write to QT at firstname.lastname@example.org
QT appears Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week