We Have Seen the Present, and It Does Not Work:
Among the words the NSA finds suspicious when monitoring our emails are "freedom" and "dictionary."
News Item: "... nothing short of a political circus..."
News Item: "... on the political merry-go-round..."
News Item: "... fiscal high-wire acts..."
News Item: "... after some diplomatic juggling..."
We must be having more fun than we thought.
News Headline: "Obese black-hole galaxies could reveal quasar secrets."
A word to astronomers:
Ease up. Black-hole galaxies have feelings, too.
News Headline: "Giant snails invade, threaten Florida"
News Headline: "Monster mosquitoes emerge in central Florida"
Add the more than 1 million Floridians with concealed-carry permits, and you have a summer traveler's paradise.
News Headline: "The NSA and our Great Surveillance Society."
K. Weiszhaar, a Denver reader, writes:
"It's 10 p.m. Does your government know where you are?"
But look on the bright side:
At least our version of Big Brother is no good at keeping secrets.
News Item: " ...researchers found that individuals who could gain monetarily through unethical behavior were more likely to demonstrate that behavior than those who weren't offered a financial gain..."
Are we running out of things to study?
News Headline: "Paris Hilton's album 'almost finished'"
It has been 2,188 days since Paris Hilton announced she would be leaving public life.
Not that anyone is counting...
QT Grammar R Us Seminar on the English Language:
W.S., an Evanston, Ill., reader, regarding QT's mention that the "lion's share" of something is not most of it, but all of it, writes:
"Is a politician's allotted speaking time the lyin's share?"
Your grammar is impeccable.
Write to QT at firstname.lastname@example.org
QT appears Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 30, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- What the Romney boomlet says about the establishment GOP's feeble 2016 field
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Christian conservatives have a terrifying new bogeyman: The Christian leftist
Subscribe to the Week