News Headline: "Company allows you to tweet extraterrestrials"
As the Intergalactic Planetary Federation decides in emergency session that the termination of Earth can be put off no longer.
News Headline: "Putin: West arming Syrian rebels who eat human flesh"
No one said our Syria policy didn't need tweaking.
QT Department of Remaining Straws We Can Grasp At:
There are still more public libraries in the United States than McDonald's outlets.
+ A.D., a Concord, Calif., reader, regarding QT's mention that Sarah Palin at Fox News was a case of palling around with errorists, writes:
"Like all the Liberal Loons, you..."
+ R.C., a Cherry Hill, N.J., reader, writes:
"You are an idiot !!!!!!!!"
OK. Now we have a dialogue started.
News Headline: "Idaho GOPer fears gay employees will come 'into work in a tutu' "
Turnabout is fair play.
The Idaho GOPer can always to come to work in a dunce cap.
News Headline: "American workers losing ground on wages"
News Headline: "American workers see less vacation time than workers in other countries"
News Headline: "Majority of American workers are not engaged in their jobs"
Then again, as causes and effects go, this seems a fairly easy day.
News Headline: "Boy, 9, found loaded Glock in movie theater bathroom"
As envisioned by the Founding Fathers when they framed the Second Amendment.
QT Grammar R Us Seminar on the English Language:
Larry Rand, a Chicago reader, regarding another reader's mention that Marseilles, Ill., is pronounced mahr-SAYLS, wants you to know that Goethe Street in Chicago is pronounced GO-thee.
And Jim Kehoe, a Sydney, Australia, reader, wants you to know that the Australian city of Cairns is pronounced CANS.
Kabul rhymes with "hobble," by the way.
Write to QT at firstname.lastname@example.org
QT appears Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 10 things you need to know today: November 27, 2014
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- How to deep fry a turkey
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week