News Headline: "Company allows you to tweet extraterrestrials"
As the Intergalactic Planetary Federation decides in emergency session that the termination of Earth can be put off no longer.
News Headline: "Putin: West arming Syrian rebels who eat human flesh"
No one said our Syria policy didn't need tweaking.
QT Department of Remaining Straws We Can Grasp At:
There are still more public libraries in the United States than McDonald's outlets.
+ A.D., a Concord, Calif., reader, regarding QT's mention that Sarah Palin at Fox News was a case of palling around with errorists, writes:
"Like all the Liberal Loons, you..."
+ R.C., a Cherry Hill, N.J., reader, writes:
"You are an idiot !!!!!!!!"
OK. Now we have a dialogue started.
News Headline: "Idaho GOPer fears gay employees will come 'into work in a tutu' "
Turnabout is fair play.
The Idaho GOPer can always to come to work in a dunce cap.
News Headline: "American workers losing ground on wages"
News Headline: "American workers see less vacation time than workers in other countries"
News Headline: "Majority of American workers are not engaged in their jobs"
Then again, as causes and effects go, this seems a fairly easy day.
News Headline: "Boy, 9, found loaded Glock in movie theater bathroom"
As envisioned by the Founding Fathers when they framed the Second Amendment.
QT Grammar R Us Seminar on the English Language:
Larry Rand, a Chicago reader, regarding another reader's mention that Marseilles, Ill., is pronounced mahr-SAYLS, wants you to know that Goethe Street in Chicago is pronounced GO-thee.
And Jim Kehoe, a Sydney, Australia, reader, wants you to know that the Australian city of Cairns is pronounced CANS.
Kabul rhymes with "hobble," by the way.
Write to QT at firstname.lastname@example.org
QT appears Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be a moral internet citizen on the often-immoral internet
- 10 things you need to know today: September 22, 2014
Subscribe to the Week