News Headline: "Militants attack U.N. compound in Somalia"
News Headline: "Russia warns against arming Syrian rebels"
News Headline: "U.S. Navy weapons sharpened for next generation of warfare"
For those keeping track of the dawning of the Age of Aquarius.
News Headline: "Obama surveillance defies campaign civil liberty pledge"
Or do you have something against the politics of change?
News Headline: "Giant fluorescent pink slugs found at top of Australian mountain"
News Headline: "Sheep-eating plant about to bloom for first time in 15 years"
How do we persuade the Intelligent Designer to check into rehab?
Modern Education + the Criminal Mind =
A man robbing a gas station in England took care to conceal his identity by covering his head with a clear plastic bag.
News Headline: "Does life have a purpose?"
There is a headline writer somewhere who needs some cheering up.
News Item: "The FBI has called off the dig for Jimmy Hoffa in a suburban Detroit field where a tipster insisted he was buried alive..."
J.S., a Germantown, Tenn., reader, says he could tell from the start the story was full of holes.
News Item: NASA officials put the chance of a dangerous asteroid hitting Earth in the next year at only 1 in 20,000.
So will you stop worrying?
In other news, a father and son golfing in Richmond, Texas, hit holes-in-one on the same hole, beating odds of 17 million to 1.
QT Grammar R Us Seminar on the English Language;
News Item: "U.S. District Judge Denise Cote, who played her cards close to the chest throughout the proceedings..."
Bill Scott, an East Northport, N.Y., reader, writes:
"I thought the expression was 'close to the vest.' "
Either way. Depends on how you're dressed.
"Waistcoat" is pronounced WES-kit, by the way.
Write to QT at email@example.com
QT appears Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
Subscribe to the Week