1. The sneakiest yearbook quote ever
To the untrained eye, Garfield High School senior Jessica Lee's yearbook quote is a random garble of chemistry nerditry. That is, until you assign the listed elements their periodic symbols:
(F) flourine (U) uranium (C) carbon (K) potassium (Bi) bismuth (Tc) technetium (He) helium (S) sulfur (Ge) germanium (Tm) thulium (O) oxygen (Ne) neon (Y) yttrium
2. The preteen metal band from Brooklyn
The three members of Rocking the Truth are all 12 years old, and hail from Flatbush, Brooklyn — an area not exactly known for being the heavy metal capital of America. The trio star in a short online documentary by The Avant/Garde Diaries, where they open up about being bullied by their peers, and their dream of touring the country. They also happen to possess a scary amount of talent for sixth graders. (Via Reddit)
3. Tumblr of the Week: Jony Ive redesigns things
What would happen if Apple's chief designer imposed his sensibilities on other famous brands?
4. The worst cargo-loader ever
This was allegedly taken from a plane waiting at an airport in China. (Via Uproxx)
And here it is again in GIF form, just because:
5. Alabama's all-male cheerleading squad
The Prancing Elites hail from Mobile, Ala., and they're kind of amazing. My favorite part is how they sit down at the end like nothing happened. (Via Colorlines)
6. The Wu-Tang Clan's ASL interpreter
At the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival last weekend, an ASL interpreter named Holly stole the show — and she didn't sing a single word. Here, she's getting down signing for the science geeks in the Wu-Tang Clan. What's "dang, girrrrl" in sign language? (Via Now This News)
7. Chris Bosh wins championship, eats confetti
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 'Tis the season for having sex with old flames and ruining your office reputation
- 6 grammar points to watch out for in Christmas songs
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What makes a word the word of the year?
- 10 things you need to know today: December 8, 2013
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- What's the McRib made of, anyway?
Subscribe to the Week