In a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court ruled that the traditional marriage activists who helped put Proposition 8 — California's voter-approved ban on gay marriage — on the ballot in 2008, and later defended the law in court, had no right to take that latter action.
The Supreme Court ordered an appeals court do dismiss their appeal, clearing the way for same-sex marriages to resume in California.
It is unclear whether or not the court decision will help pave the way for gay marriage in other states in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, where the case, Hollingsworth v. Perry, was decided. The Supreme Court's ruling today is narrow — and meant only to apply to this particular case.
Earlier this morning, the Supreme Court ruled that the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) was unconstitutional. The ruling means that the federal government now legally recognizes and extends benefits to same-sex couples.
In the Prop 8 case, Chief Justice John Roberts was joined in his majority opinion by Justices Ginsburg, Scalia, Breyer, and Kagan. Justices Kennedy, Thomas, Alito, and Sotomayor dissented.
Before Prop 8 was approved by 52.1 percent of voters in California in 2008, the state's Supreme Court had ruled that California would recognize same-sex marriages. Same-sex couples challenged Prop 8 in court, where it was declared unconstitutional. Then Prop 8 backers appealed — something the Supreme Court said they had no legal right to do.
Read the entire Supreme Court ruling here.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- Tony Blair: The Cassandra of the Middle East
Subscribe to the Week