The whole exchange — which happened while MSNBC was interviewing the two couples who brought the Prop 8 lawsuit — was captured on tape.
"We're proud of you guys, and we're proud to have this in California," Obama said by phone from Air Force One.
Earlier in the day, Obama tweeted his support for the court's rulings.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
Subscribe to the Week