The whole exchange — which happened while MSNBC was interviewing the two couples who brought the Prop 8 lawsuit — was captured on tape.
"We're proud of you guys, and we're proud to have this in California," Obama said by phone from Air Force One.
Earlier in the day, Obama tweeted his support for the court's rulings.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
Subscribe to the Week