The whole exchange — which happened while MSNBC was interviewing the two couples who brought the Prop 8 lawsuit — was captured on tape.
"We're proud of you guys, and we're proud to have this in California," Obama said by phone from Air Force One.
Earlier in the day, Obama tweeted his support for the court's rulings.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
Subscribe to the Week