The whole exchange — which happened while MSNBC was interviewing the two couples who brought the Prop 8 lawsuit — was captured on tape.
"We're proud of you guys, and we're proud to have this in California," Obama said by phone from Air Force One.
Earlier in the day, Obama tweeted his support for the court's rulings.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 1, 2014
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week