In the aftermath of today's historic Supreme Court decision to strike down the controversial Defense of Marriage Act, Rep. Michelle Bachmann (R-Minn.) issued a statement on the matter:
"No man, not even a Supreme Court, can undo what a holy God has instituted," Ms. Bachmann said in a statement. "For thousands of years of recorded human history, no society has defended the legal standard of marriage as anything other than between man and woman." She said the court action "will undermine the best interest of children and the best interests of the United States." [MediaIte]
During a press conference on the high court's decision later in the day, a member of the audience asked House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) for her thoughts on Bachmann's statement. As you can see above, Pelosi responded with a weary, "Who cares?" Then she laughed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
Subscribe to the Week