In the aftermath of today's historic Supreme Court decision to strike down the controversial Defense of Marriage Act, Rep. Michelle Bachmann (R-Minn.) issued a statement on the matter:
"No man, not even a Supreme Court, can undo what a holy God has instituted," Ms. Bachmann said in a statement. "For thousands of years of recorded human history, no society has defended the legal standard of marriage as anything other than between man and woman." She said the court action "will undermine the best interest of children and the best interests of the United States." [MediaIte]
During a press conference on the high court's decision later in the day, a member of the audience asked House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) for her thoughts on Bachmann's statement. As you can see above, Pelosi responded with a weary, "Who cares?" Then she laughed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- How to live a long life, according to science
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week