In the aftermath of today's historic Supreme Court decision to strike down the controversial Defense of Marriage Act, Rep. Michelle Bachmann (R-Minn.) issued a statement on the matter:
"No man, not even a Supreme Court, can undo what a holy God has instituted," Ms. Bachmann said in a statement. "For thousands of years of recorded human history, no society has defended the legal standard of marriage as anything other than between man and woman." She said the court action "will undermine the best interest of children and the best interests of the United States." [MediaIte]
During a press conference on the high court's decision later in the day, a member of the audience asked House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) for her thoughts on Bachmann's statement. As you can see above, Pelosi responded with a weary, "Who cares?" Then she laughed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- In defense of Obama's golfing
- The government is getting into the fact-checking business. Be very, very afraid.
- How Hillary Clinton's 'smart power' turned Libya into a dumpster fire
Subscribe to the Week