In the aftermath of today's historic Supreme Court decision to strike down the controversial Defense of Marriage Act, Rep. Michelle Bachmann (R-Minn.) issued a statement on the matter:
"No man, not even a Supreme Court, can undo what a holy God has instituted," Ms. Bachmann said in a statement. "For thousands of years of recorded human history, no society has defended the legal standard of marriage as anything other than between man and woman." She said the court action "will undermine the best interest of children and the best interests of the United States." [MediaIte]
During a press conference on the high court's decision later in the day, a member of the audience asked House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) for her thoughts on Bachmann's statement. As you can see above, Pelosi responded with a weary, "Who cares?" Then she laughed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
Subscribe to the Week