Why some white people don't feel black people's pain
A failure of empathy perpetuates racial disparities
George Zimmerman appears in a Seminole County courtroom in Florida for his bond hearing, during which the judge ordered him to go back to jail.
Joe Burbank/Orlando Sentinel-Pool/Getty Images
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Rise of the machines
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- It's time to kill school picture day
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Ban PowerPoint!
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
Subscribe to the Week