While taking a tour Sunday of the Desmond Tutu HIV Foundation Youth Centre in Cape Town, South Africa, President Barack Obama received a special performance from 15-year-old Aviwe Mtongana. (Watch it above — the rap starts a little after the 1-minute mark.)
Mtongana, a.k.a. "Katmeister," shared his lyrical skills with Obama, who looked on smiling. After it was over, the president said, "You gotta drop the mic!" — something Obama knows a little about, considering he did it at the end of a "Slow Jam the News" segment on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (watch below).
South Africa was the second stop on Obama's tour of Africa after Senegal. Obama did not meet with anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela, who is critically ill in the hospital, but he did visit Robben Island, where Mandela was imprisoned for 18 years.
The president's final stop is Tanzania, which received $480 million in aid last year from the U.S. government.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
Subscribe to the Week