News Headline: "Texas executes 500th prisoner"
And almost all of them were probably guilty.
QT Digest of Rush Limbaugh's Friday Show:
"...It's the Rush Limbaugh program... None of it's true... There are lies and mistruths and false premises and misstatements... It may just be me... "
Why are some people more fun to quote out of context than others?
News Item: "...more than three-quarters of voters (77 percent) believe the United States would be a better country if we followed the ideas of the Founding Fathers..."
Or put it another way:
Three out of four Americans, at least half of whom, according to polls, can't name the three branches of government, believe — OK, never mind.
News Headline: "12 percent of Romney voters think all cats should live in the woods"
Are we running out of poll questions to ask?
News Headline: "Nude travelers gear up to take it all off this summer"
In other news, seven days remain until National Nude Recreation Week.
It will begin the day after Congress ends its current vacation recess.
Talk about close calls...
QT Grammar R Us Seminar on the English Language:
J.H., a New York City reader, writes:
"Does anyone out there know that it isn't 'once more into the breach' but 'once more unto the breach'?"
And as long as Shakespeare has come up:
It isn't "gild the lily," but "paint the lily."
And it isn't all that glitters that isn't gold.
It's all that glisters.
Write to QT at email@example.com
QT appears Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
Subscribe to the Week