News Headline: "Texas executes 500th prisoner"
And almost all of them were probably guilty.
QT Digest of Rush Limbaugh's Friday Show:
"...It's the Rush Limbaugh program... None of it's true... There are lies and mistruths and false premises and misstatements... It may just be me... "
Why are some people more fun to quote out of context than others?
News Item: "...more than three-quarters of voters (77 percent) believe the United States would be a better country if we followed the ideas of the Founding Fathers..."
Or put it another way:
Three out of four Americans, at least half of whom, according to polls, can't name the three branches of government, believe — OK, never mind.
News Headline: "12 percent of Romney voters think all cats should live in the woods"
Are we running out of poll questions to ask?
News Headline: "Nude travelers gear up to take it all off this summer"
In other news, seven days remain until National Nude Recreation Week.
It will begin the day after Congress ends its current vacation recess.
Talk about close calls...
QT Grammar R Us Seminar on the English Language:
J.H., a New York City reader, writes:
"Does anyone out there know that it isn't 'once more into the breach' but 'once more unto the breach'?"
And as long as Shakespeare has come up:
It isn't "gild the lily," but "paint the lily."
And it isn't all that glitters that isn't gold.
It's all that glisters.
Write to QT at email@example.com
QT appears Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- Keira Knightley on Laggies, relationships, and surviving your 20s
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
Subscribe to the Week