How Reagan made gay marriage possible
It has to do with the midterm elections of 1986
In 1985, President Ronald Reagan gave a speech calling for the wealthy to pay their fair share in taxes, and sounded an awful lot like President Obama stumping for his own tax plan today.
Jacques M. Chenet/CORBIS
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Your weekly streaming recommendation: The One I Love
Subscribe to the Week