How Reagan made gay marriage possible
It has to do with the midterm elections of 1986
In 1985, President Ronald Reagan gave a speech calling for the wealthy to pay their fair share in taxes, and sounded an awful lot like President Obama stumping for his own tax plan today.
Jacques M. Chenet/CORBIS
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- These 5 things will definitely happen after Obama moves on immigration
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- On immigration, Obama is flirting with tyranny
- Why are newspaper comics so terrible?
- How to rescue the American family and fix the broken school system in one fell swoop
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why ObamaCare would survive a Supreme Court defeat
Subscribe to the Week