n Tuesday, word got out that Apple has filed for trademark protections for the term "iWatch" in Taiwan, Russia, Mexico, and Japan.
We still don't know very much about it. Yes, it may have a wraparound touchscreen. And it may snap onto your wrist like a '90s slap bracelet. But we're still very much in the dark about the smartwatch's details.
The key question, however, is whether anyone is genuinely enthusiastic about the prospect of an iWatch, which will be particularly important when shareholders and analysts start calling for a splashy new Apple product to launch the company's stock back to the stratosphere. (Whether those expectations are fair or not is a separate debate altogether.)
The early answer, at least right now? Consumers seem indifferent.
Google Trends is usually a reliable barometer for evaluating what people are excited about. Here's how interest in the search term "Apple iWatch" has waned since news of the gadget's existence leaked in February (E), before spiking again slightly with reports of the latest trademark filing.
Now, just for funsies, let's compare that with relative interest in "Google Glass" (red), which, unlike the iWatch unicorn, is a real product that's currently being tested by developers.
That's not a totally fair comparison, but it does illustrate one simple fact about the iWatch: Interest hasn't been growing steadily like it did for, say, the iPhone 5. Or the iPad Mini. Perhaps smartwatches are a dumb idea after all.
And that's not great news for Apple, which relies on the internet echo chamber to generate buzz for new products more than any other tech company. While it's important not to read too far into what Google tells us about Apple, there doesn't appear to be any momentum behind an iWatch.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Why is American internet so slow?
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week