News Headline: "George Zimmerman trial completely dominating cable news"
Wait. As any cable TV news director will tell you, a great deal of thought goes into the coverage of the day's — oh, look at that bright shiny object!
News Headline: "House Republicans refuse to budge on immigration bill"
News Headline: "On July 4, Statue of Liberty to finally reopen"
As we await the cost estimates for turning it 180 degrees on its foundation.
News Headline: "Study shows veterans must navigate hundreds of forms, more than a dozen agencies for services"
Let's cut President Obama some slack here, shall we?
He's had barely five years to straighten this out.
We Have Seen the Present, and It Does Not Work:
A London couple was informed it could not use the phrase "in sickness and in health" in a civil marriage ceremony, as the phrase is from the Anglican Book of Common Prayer.
The couple was allowed to use "in sickness and when we are well."
News Headline: "Afghan-Pakistani ties in a tailspin, with botched diplomacy blamed"
K.R., a Baltimore reader, wants to know if the ties that are in a tailspin are just the tip of the iceberg coming home to roost.
Rudy Giuliani regarding President Obama, Russian President Vladimir Putin, and fugitive Edward Snowden:
"Who would you give greater odds would catch a fugitive, a former KGB agent or a former community organizer?"
Good question. Maybe Osama bin Laden could add his thoughts, too.
News Headline: "Zimmerman trial: Which is worse, N-word or cracker?"
A clue. Which one don't we print?
Modern Education + the Criminal Mind =
Police arresting a New York City man on suspicion of bank robbery found a to-do list in the man's pocket with the words "rob bank."
Grammar R Us Seminar on the English Language:
M.C., a Chicago reader, wants you to know that there are nearly 200,000 Google hits for "4th of July celabration."
In any event, Happy Independance Day!
Write to QT at firstname.lastname@example.org
QT appears Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
Subscribe to the Week