News Headline: "George Zimmerman trial completely dominating cable news"
Wait. As any cable TV news director will tell you, a great deal of thought goes into the coverage of the day's — oh, look at that bright shiny object!
News Headline: "House Republicans refuse to budge on immigration bill"
News Headline: "On July 4, Statue of Liberty to finally reopen"
As we await the cost estimates for turning it 180 degrees on its foundation.
News Headline: "Study shows veterans must navigate hundreds of forms, more than a dozen agencies for services"
Let's cut President Obama some slack here, shall we?
He's had barely five years to straighten this out.
We Have Seen the Present, and It Does Not Work:
A London couple was informed it could not use the phrase "in sickness and in health" in a civil marriage ceremony, as the phrase is from the Anglican Book of Common Prayer.
The couple was allowed to use "in sickness and when we are well."
News Headline: "Afghan-Pakistani ties in a tailspin, with botched diplomacy blamed"
K.R., a Baltimore reader, wants to know if the ties that are in a tailspin are just the tip of the iceberg coming home to roost.
Rudy Giuliani regarding President Obama, Russian President Vladimir Putin, and fugitive Edward Snowden:
"Who would you give greater odds would catch a fugitive, a former KGB agent or a former community organizer?"
Good question. Maybe Osama bin Laden could add his thoughts, too.
News Headline: "Zimmerman trial: Which is worse, N-word or cracker?"
A clue. Which one don't we print?
Modern Education + the Criminal Mind =
Police arresting a New York City man on suspicion of bank robbery found a to-do list in the man's pocket with the words "rob bank."
Grammar R Us Seminar on the English Language:
M.C., a Chicago reader, wants you to know that there are nearly 200,000 Google hits for "4th of July celabration."
In any event, Happy Independance Day!
Write to QT at firstname.lastname@example.org
QT appears Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- The danger of the Democrats' lack of desperation
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
Subscribe to the Week