As the United States celebrates Independence Day, a new Gallup poll finds that 57 percent of Americans are "extremely proud" to be a citizen while 28 percent are "very proud.” That's a total of 85 percent of adults who say they are proud to be an American on the nation's birthday.
Interestingly, Gallup notes this high level of pride in being an American "has varied only moderately over the past 12 years since the question was first asked."
However, Americans are much less sure that the signers of the Declaration of Independence would actually be pleased by the way the United States has grown as a nation over the last 237 years. A whopping 71 percent of Americans say the signers would be disappointed, while 27 percent say they would be pleased.
This is almost certainly a reflection of the extreme negativity Americans feel toward their government over the last decade. Back in 2001, a majority (54 percent) thought the Founders would be pleased with how their experiment in democracy turned out.
What do you think?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week