Great Britain is feting its favorite son, Andy Murray of Scotland, for putting an end to the country's 77-year title drought in the men's Wimbledon championships. To put those decades in context, here is a rundown of other key milestones from 1936, the last time a Briton won the coveted tennis title.
Jan. 29 — Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Christy Mathewson, and Walter Johnson become the first players elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
Feb. 6 — The fourth Winter Olympic Games opens in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany.
Feb. 17 — The world's first comic book superhero, The Phantom, makes his debut.
April 21 — Queen Elizabeth II turns 10.
May 3 — Joe DiMaggio makes his major-league debut with the New York Yankees, getting three hits.
June 8 — Parking meters are invented.
June 26 — The first functional helicopter, the Focke-Wulf Fw 61, makes its inaugural flight.
June 30 — Margaret Mitchell's novel Gone with the Wind is published.
July 13 — Fred Perry wins the men's single's Wimbledon championships.
July 18 — The Spanish Civil War begins.
Sept. 29 — Radio is used for first time in a presidential campaign.
Nov. 3 — President Franklin Delano Roosevelt (D) wins a landslide victory over his Republican opponent, Alfred M. Landon.
Nov. 23 — Life magazine hits newsstands.
December — The first electric guitar — the Gibson ES-150 — goes on sale.
Dec. 18 — Su-Lin, the first giant panda to come to U.S. from China, arrives in San Francisco.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
Subscribe to the Week