Great Britain is feting its favorite son, Andy Murray of Scotland, for putting an end to the country's 77-year title drought in the men's Wimbledon championships. To put those decades in context, here is a rundown of other key milestones from 1936, the last time a Briton won the coveted tennis title.
Jan. 29 — Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Christy Mathewson, and Walter Johnson become the first players elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
Feb. 6 — The fourth Winter Olympic Games opens in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany.
Feb. 17 — The world's first comic book superhero, The Phantom, makes his debut.
April 21 — Queen Elizabeth II turns 10.
May 3 — Joe DiMaggio makes his major-league debut with the New York Yankees, getting three hits.
June 8 — Parking meters are invented.
June 26 — The first functional helicopter, the Focke-Wulf Fw 61, makes its inaugural flight.
June 30 — Margaret Mitchell's novel Gone with the Wind is published.
July 13 — Fred Perry wins the men's single's Wimbledon championships.
July 18 — The Spanish Civil War begins.
Sept. 29 — Radio is used for first time in a presidential campaign.
Nov. 3 — President Franklin Delano Roosevelt (D) wins a landslide victory over his Republican opponent, Alfred M. Landon.
Nov. 23 — Life magazine hits newsstands.
December — The first electric guitar — the Gibson ES-150 — goes on sale.
Dec. 18 — Su-Lin, the first giant panda to come to U.S. from China, arrives in San Francisco.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: July 24, 2014
- What progressives fundamentally don't get about traditional Christians
Subscribe to the Week