Kanye West is nothing if not a masterful self-promoter, and in the music video for "Black Skinhead" — the first single from his critically acclaimed new album Yeezus — he's putting himself front and center. The video opens with a chorus of snarling wolves before quickly segueing to a bouncing, poorly rendered CGI Kanye stand-in, who raps along to the song in a black-and-white void as he gradually sheds clothing.
The "Black Skinhead" video, like the rest of Yeezus, appeared with almost none of the promotional pomp and circumstance that typically greets such a high-profile release. In fact, the video seems to have been an unintentional leak; though it originally appeared on an official Universal Music website, the original posting has since been pulled, leaving only copies that have been ripped and reposted by fans. Is this edgy, minimalist CGI treatment appropriate for West's provocative first single, or has West botched his latest promotional push? Judge for yourself here.
UPDATE: In a series of tweets, West confirmed that the video was an unintentional leak, and that a more polished version will be released within the week:
The BLKKK SKKKN HD video that leaked yesterday was not the official version.— KANYE WEST (@kanyewest) July 9, 2013
Me and Nick Knight have been working on this video for 5 months and for creatives it's heartbreaking when something like this happens.— KANYE WEST (@kanyewest) July 9, 2013
The final version will be ready within the next week.— KANYE WEST (@kanyewest) July 9, 2013
So any website that may have the unapproved / unfinished ruff. I ask you to please take it down.— KANYE WEST (@kanyewest) July 9, 2013
Allow me and Nick to give the world what we've been losing sleep over.— KANYE WEST (@kanyewest) July 9, 2013
And to who ever leaked the video… FUK YOU!— KANYE WEST (@kanyewest) July 9, 2013
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The Black Death is back
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- The lingering mystery of the 1964 World's Fair
- How Arrow became the best superhero show on television
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- Instagram might be ruining our memories. Here's why that's a good thing.
- Watch The Daily Show try to cheer the end of congressional gridlock
Subscribe to the Week