Kanye West is nothing if not a masterful self-promoter, and in the music video for "Black Skinhead" — the first single from his critically acclaimed new album Yeezus — he's putting himself front and center. The video opens with a chorus of snarling wolves before quickly segueing to a bouncing, poorly rendered CGI Kanye stand-in, who raps along to the song in a black-and-white void as he gradually sheds clothing.
The "Black Skinhead" video, like the rest of Yeezus, appeared with almost none of the promotional pomp and circumstance that typically greets such a high-profile release. In fact, the video seems to have been an unintentional leak; though it originally appeared on an official Universal Music website, the original posting has since been pulled, leaving only copies that have been ripped and reposted by fans. Is this edgy, minimalist CGI treatment appropriate for West's provocative first single, or has West botched his latest promotional push? Judge for yourself here.
UPDATE: In a series of tweets, West confirmed that the video was an unintentional leak, and that a more polished version will be released within the week:
The BLKKK SKKKN HD video that leaked yesterday was not the official version.— KANYE WEST (@kanyewest) July 9, 2013
Me and Nick Knight have been working on this video for 5 months and for creatives it's heartbreaking when something like this happens.— KANYE WEST (@kanyewest) July 9, 2013
The final version will be ready within the next week.— KANYE WEST (@kanyewest) July 9, 2013
So any website that may have the unapproved / unfinished ruff. I ask you to please take it down.— KANYE WEST (@kanyewest) July 9, 2013
Allow me and Nick to give the world what we've been losing sleep over.— KANYE WEST (@kanyewest) July 9, 2013
And to who ever leaked the video… FUK YOU!— KANYE WEST (@kanyewest) July 9, 2013
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- California's epic drought
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week