News Headline:"Recess is not a vacation for Congress"
But Congress is back in session this week.
And can rest now.
News Headline:"Mexico surpasses U.S. as world's fattest nation"
QT has done some research here.
It would take 3,439,040 exercise treadmills placed side-to-side to create a deterrence along the entire border.
This could be accomplished for less than $690 million.
Which is cheaper than all the proposed fences.
And approximately as effective.
QT Trickle-On Economics Update:
CEOs of major U.S. companies made 273 times what their workers made in 2012, up from 20 times what their workers made in 1965.
Modern Education + the Criminal Mind =
A man who broke into a house during a recent morning in Willoughby, Ohio, told police they had no right to arrest him because the crime of burglary can happen only at night.
News Item:"Bangladesh's exports rose 16.3 percent in June to $2.7 billion on the year...as the low-cost country retains its allure for cost-crunching global retailers despite deadly incidents..."
Nothing more alluring than sweatshops on fire.
News Headline:"Cockatoo stuns scientists by picking a lock"
Do our scientists stun too easily?
QT Grammar R Us Seminar on the English Language:
News Headline:"Eliot Spitzer running for New York City comptroller"
L.S., a New York City reader, writes:
"I'm still waiting for the first TV news reader who understands that 'comptroller' should be pronounced the same as 'controller.' "
QT will wait with you.
Write to QT at firstname.lastname@example.org
QT appears Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 10 things you need to know today: September 22, 2014
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Can the U.S. Army degrade and destroy Ebola?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week