News Headline:"Recess is not a vacation for Congress"
But Congress is back in session this week.
And can rest now.
News Headline:"Mexico surpasses U.S. as world's fattest nation"
QT has done some research here.
It would take 3,439,040 exercise treadmills placed side-to-side to create a deterrence along the entire border.
This could be accomplished for less than $690 million.
Which is cheaper than all the proposed fences.
And approximately as effective.
QT Trickle-On Economics Update:
CEOs of major U.S. companies made 273 times what their workers made in 2012, up from 20 times what their workers made in 1965.
Modern Education + the Criminal Mind =
A man who broke into a house during a recent morning in Willoughby, Ohio, told police they had no right to arrest him because the crime of burglary can happen only at night.
News Item:"Bangladesh's exports rose 16.3 percent in June to $2.7 billion on the year...as the low-cost country retains its allure for cost-crunching global retailers despite deadly incidents..."
Nothing more alluring than sweatshops on fire.
News Headline:"Cockatoo stuns scientists by picking a lock"
Do our scientists stun too easily?
QT Grammar R Us Seminar on the English Language:
News Headline:"Eliot Spitzer running for New York City comptroller"
L.S., a New York City reader, writes:
"I'm still waiting for the first TV news reader who understands that 'comptroller' should be pronounced the same as 'controller.' "
QT will wait with you.
Write to QT at firstname.lastname@example.org
QT appears Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week